There’s a lot to learn about travel in India, from what to wear, to how to book trains, to preventing Delhi belly.
There is nowhere like India. Even if you’ve travelled extensively in Asia, India is different. There is a steep learning curve to travel in India, a lot you need to learn, until you feel comfortable. This post covers a few basics, and includes links to Breathedreamgo — a travel blog with a lot of tips, advice, information, and recommendations. And also read Tips for women travellers here.
India is large, old, diverse, and devout!
India is the 7th largest country on earth in terms of size, and the 2nd in terms of population with about 1.3 billion. The culture of India stretches back to the mists of time, at least 5,000 years ago. There are incredible archaeological sites, ancient monuments, tombs, forts, palaces, and abandoned cities all over India. Varanasi is one of the oldest cities in the world.
The coastline of India is 7,500 kilometers (4,600 miles). There are 104 national parks and 50 tiger reserves. India has about 3,000 wild tigers — approximately 70% of the world’s wild tigers. There are 29 states and 7 union territories in India, and each has a unique culture. There are thousands of languages in India, and 22 are considered official.
The Indian subcontinent is the birthplace of four of the world’s major religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism.
Travel tips for India
- Slow down. India is an ideal place for slow, immersive travel. Get to know local people, and let them get to know you.
- Enjoy the big cities but also explore rural India.
- Go on walking tours, especially food tours.
- Go shopping! Shopping in Delhi and shopping in Jaipur are two of the best places.
- Stay in a Yoga Ashram or go on a Yoga retreat.
- Take a long or overnight train journey.
- Plan your trip to attend a big Indian festival.
- Try a tiger safari.
- Book into homestays at least some of the time.
- Pay attention to the season and the weather. Here’s a guide to The best places to visit in India by season.
- Don’t skip a visit to India during the monsoon. Here are some the best places in India in monsoon.
- Visit some of India’s life-changing spiritual places
- Spend some time on India’s best beaches
Where to go in India
Breathedreamgo covers many great destinations in India, with in-depth guides that include insider tips, where to stay, and much more.
- Things to do in Delhi
- 3-day Delhi Itinerary
- Discovering the soul of Agra
- Best places to visit in Mumbai
- Complete Guide to Rajasthan
- 2-day Udaipur itinerary with best things to do
- Best places to visit in Jaisalmer
- Best places for tourists ot visit in Madhya Pradesh
- Best places to visit in Kolkata
- Ideal two-week Kerala itinerary
- Best places to visit in Northeast India
- Darjeeling, Queen of Hill Stations
- Travel guide to Dharamsala
- Guide to the amazing Sunderbans of India
- Guide to the Beatles Ashram, Rishikesh
- Essential guide to planning your Ladakh trip
- Five best places to visit in Amritsar
Useful links to Breathedreamgo
On my travel blog Breathedreamgo, I have a lot of resources to help you travel in India. Here are some useful links to get you started. Start here with Breathedreamgo’s Guide to Travel in India.